Taliban attack army base in Kunduz, killing 14 soldiers

At least 14 soldiers killed and several others injured in a Taliban attack over a military base in Dash-e-Archi district of Kunduz last night, survived soldiers said Thursday.

Abdullah, an Afghan army soldier who was wounded in the fight with the Taliban in Kunduz, said that Taliban militants were equipped with modern weapons.

Meanwhile, Ghulam Hazrat Karimi, a spokesman for the 20th Pamir Division confirmed the attack but did not provide the exact number of casualties sustained to Afghan security forces.

“Taliban attacked from three sides over Dasht-e-Archi district. Twelve enemies were killed and nineteen others were wounded and we have their dead bodies. Casualties have also sustained to our forces,” Karimi said.

More and more

Gen. Raziq’s brother appointed as new police chief of Kandahar

The brother of the former police chief of Kandahar Gen. Abdul Raziq has been appointed as the new police chief of southern Kandahar province.

Tadeen Khan, the brother of Gen. Abdul Raziq, was introduced as the new police chief of the province during an event organized in the Police Commandment of Kandahar today.

Gen. Raziq lost his life in an attack carried out by a gunman in Kandahar province last Thursday.

More and more

Kandahar police chief Gen. Raziq killed in armed attack

The provincial police chief, Gen. Abdul Raziq and the province’s intelligence chief Abdul Mohmin were killed on Thursday when a bodyguard opened fire following a meeting in the governor’s compound in the southern province of Kandahar, officials said.

According to the security officials, the governor of Kandahar, Gen. Zalmay Wesa and three Americans; a service member and two civilians’ workers were wounded in the shooting.

It was members of Wesa’s elite guard unit who turned their guns on their colleagues.

In a telephone interview, the spokesman for the Taliban in Afghanistan’s southern region, Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, said the Taliban carried out the attack.

He said Washington’s top general in Afghanistan, Gen. Scott Miller was the target and said Raziq, the governor and the intelligence chief were killed.

Officials said Razeq, Miller and the other officials were walking toward a landing zone as the helicopter taking the U.S. general’s party back to Kabul approached to land when the gunman, who was waiting outside, opened fire on the group.

More and more

Three arrested in connection with assassination of Jabar Qahraman

Three suspects have been arrested in connection with the apparent assassination of the parliamentary candidate, Abdul Jabar Qahraman, the Ministry of Interior said on Wednesday.

“Qahraman was among four people killed by the blast, another seven were wounded and three suspects have been arrested,” Wais Ahmad Barmak, the interior minister said.

Qahraman became the 10th election candidate to die ahead of Saturday’s polls when the blast tore through his campaign office.

“Abdul Jabar Qahraman had been meeting with supporters in his campaign office in the southern province of Helmand when a bomb hidden under a sofa exploded,” provincial governor spokesman Omar Zhwak added.

The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement posted online.

In the wake of the attack, President Ghani condemned the group, saying they will not undermine citizens’ faith in democracy.

More and more

Taliban group suffered 113 casualties in Northern Afghanistan

At least 113 Taliban insurgents have been killed in northern Afghanistan, an official confirmed on Monday.

Ghafoor Javid, spokesman for the Defense Ministry said that air and ground operations were conducted in Shirin-Tagab district of Faryab, as well as in Chahar-Bulak district of Balkh.

He added that the operations were conducted jointly by MoD and Resolute Support troops in which at least 113 Taliban insurgents were killed.

According to the statement, 11 militants have been arrested and nine more are wounded.

More and more

CE Abdullah: Afghan Gov’t ready to negotiate with reconcilable oppositions

The Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah has addressed the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit at the outset of the 73rd session of the United Nations General Assembly and reiterated the government’s readiness to negotiate with the armed opposition groups.

Speaking at the summit, Abdullah said 40 years of conflict and has suffered as a result of mainly external strife, “imposed on us against our people’s will and wishes.”

“Our message is clear: we will defend our country and our people’s lives and rights as part of the constitutional order, but we stand ready to talk and negotiate with the reconcilable armed opposition who renounces violence and terror, and believes in a united, democratic, peaceful and economically prosperous future,” he said.

He declared that renewing commitment needs to go beyond rhetoric and empty pledge.

More and more

Mohaqiq: insurgents have more advanced weapons than gov’t forces

Second Deputy to CEO, Mohammad Mohaqiq says the government is not facilitating modern equipment to military forces, insisting that the militants have more advanced weapons than the Afghan security forces.

Addressing a ceremony to mark the 10th of Muharram, the Day of Ashura in Kabul, Mohaqiq strongly criticized the government for not equipping the security forces with modern weapons. He said the issue has caused the forces to suffer high number of casualties.

“We have 390,000 military forces including police and ANA forces, they have huge shortages, and can’t cover all regions,” he said, adding that the militants making progress by forming new setup in all the districts and that carrying new weapons and seizing regions.

More and more

Local Taliban leaders, militants suffer heavy casualties in Baghlan

Dozens of Taliban militants including their local leaders were killed or wounded during the operations in northern Baghlan province of Afghanistan.

The 209th Shaheen Corps of the Afghan Military in the North in a statement said the militants were killed during the ground operations and airstrikes in Shash Kapi, Larkhabi, and Dand Shahabuddin areas of the province.

The statement further added that a total 36 militants were killed during the operations and at least 12 others sustained injuries.

More and more

Taliban rejects bombing that left 160 dead, wounded in Nangarhar

The Taliban militants group in Afghanistan rejected the group’s involvement in today’s deadly attack in eastern Nangarhar province that left at least 160 dead or wounded.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid in a statement said the Taliban group has no role in today’s attack in Nangarhar province.

Mujahid went on to claim that the group never attacks the civilian targets and strongly condemns attacks on ordinary civilians.

No individual or group has so far claimed responsibility behind today’s attack in Nangarhar province.

More and more

More than 50 militants killed, wounded in U.S. airstrike in Paktia

More than fifty militants were killed or wounded during the airstrike conducted by the U.S. forces in southeastern Paktia province of Afghanistan.

The 203rd Thunder Corps of the Afghan Military in the Southeast said the latest airstrike was carried out in the vicinity of Syedabad district.

A statement by 203rd Thunder Corps stated that the militants were targeted in Zargul area of the district, leaving at least 30 militants dead.

The statement further added that 22 militants also sustained injuries during the same airstrike.

The anti-government armed militant groups including Taliban militants have not commented regarding the report so far.

More and more